LittleMiss is lactose intolerant … we think. Or maybe we should say that she is on a reduced lactose diet. We don’t try and eliminate it entirely but things like milk, butter/spread, cheese, yoghurt etc we replace with soy options. So at the moment I am on a bit of a kick to try and get some more protein into the kids diets and since she loves eggs .. one of the first things I thought of where little quiches. She loves them.
I have tried to remove as much lactose as possible … while keeping the cheese. So here are my Almost-Lactose-Free Kiddie Quiches
- 12 wonton wrappers
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup grated Lo-Chol (Imitation Cheese Product with Soy Bean), grated
- 100g shortcut bacon, diced
- 100g button mushrooms, diced
- 1 medium tomato, deseeded, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180° fan-forced. Lightly grease two 6-hole muffin pans.
- Place 1 wonton wrapper in each hole. Press down firmly to line base and sides.
- Heat oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until bacon is crisp and mushrooms tender. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside to cool.
- Add tomato to bacon mixture. Whisk eggs and milk together in a jug. Divide bacon mixture between muffin holes. Pour over egg mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until egg is set. Cool in pan for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve.
There is a small amount of lactose in the Lo-Chol cheese. If you or your children are allergic to lactose, require strict removal of lactose, or have concerns about the lactose in these .. please consult your nutrient advisor or doctor before preparing these ..