Welcome to the ninth installment of Navigating the Funding Maze. Today I hope to give alittle more insight into the Carer Adjustment Payment. I hope that this will be useful information.
This is one I am in the process of applying for. I will update this posts with the results of my application.
What is the Carer Adjustment Payment?
The Carer Adjustment Payment is to assit families with additional costs during their adjustment period immediately after a catastrophic event involving a young child.
Who is eligible?
Carer Adjustment Payment is a one-off, non-taxable payment to help families to adjust following a catastrophic event when a child aged 0–6 years is diagnosed with a severe illness, medical condition or a major disability.
You may be eligible to receive Carer Adjustment Payment if:
- following the catastrophic event, you need to care for the child full-time for a minimum of 2 months, and
- you qualify for Carer Allowance (caring for a child under 16 years) for the child, and
- you are not eligible for Carer Payment (caring for a child under 16 years) for the child, and
- you and your partner are not eligible for an income support payment, and
- you have a very strong need for financial support immediately after the catastrophic event, and
- the child is aged 0–6 years.
Examples of catastrophic events may include (but are not limited to):
- diagnosis of a serious or severe illness such as childhood cancer
- diagnosis of autism
- car accident
- childhood stroke
- near drowning, or
- other type of accident.
How much will be paid?
The maximum amount of Carer Adjustment Payment any family can receive is $10,000 for each child in a single catastrophic event.
The payment is not taxable.
How to apply?
For a Carer Adjustment Payment claim form you can:
- print out the Carer Adjustment Payment form
- phone Centrelink on 13 2717
- visit your nearest Centrelink Customer Service Centre
You will need to attach any documents you have which may support your claim.
What have your experience been of the Carer Adjustment Payment? Do you have any lessons/scars?
Please feel free to add links to more relevant information you have found useful in the comments below.
Image: Cooking Housewife — Lisa’s Dinner party 7-30-09 3 by stevendepolo, on Flickr – Attribution 2.0 Generic (CC BY 2.0)