It is an amazing film which aims to teach school aged children about acceptance and understanding of their peers with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). The film addresses some of the fears children may have about ASD, answers their questions and helps show them how they can be a great friend to a classmate on the autism spectrum. The film includes enlightening interviews with the brothers, sisters, cousins and friends of children on the spectrum. These friends and family members share their thoughts and experiences on what it is like to share their life with someone on the spectrum.
Yes I do have a bias but I think it was amazing. I am so excited that it will be distributed to 10,000 schools across Australia later this year and there is even talk of it being shown at the United Nations .. and maybe Autism Speaks doing
But if you thought that making great films for children is all that they do you would be sadly mistaken. It is funny when you know what they do but sitting there and listening to them list everything … they have been very very busy … especially since that they only have 1 full-time staff member and a committed board. So today I am grateful for Autism Awareness. I am grateful to them as individuals that work so hard and as a team in all their work they do. Some of their achievements for this year include.
- provide information to parents through Autism Seminars around the country (both in the regional centres as well as major cities) – the next one is Darwin I think ..
- leading and participating in the National Autism Summit …
- lighting up the Sydney Opera House Blue for Autism Awareness Day …
- presenting to the United Nations (Following being recognised with NGO membership to the United Nations Department of Public Information (UNDPI), Autism Awareness was invited to present at the annual NGO Orientation Program commencing on Wednesday 1 June 2011 in New York (EST) )…
- a new website (check it out if you haven’t)
For more information check out their
Don’t forget tickets for the Brisbane and Melbourne Premieres ..
Brisbane – 16 August 2011
Melbourne – 1 September 2011
Book Tickets Here