No matter what you read in health fad books .. the simple facts are that a healthy active lifestyle combined with a healthy eating is a great way for everyone (not just kids) to be healthy and live a better, longer life.
Being active does not need to be complex or expensive or require you to go long distances. Most can be done either in your backyard or the local park.
Some ideas can include
• Juggling with tennis balls or beanbags
• Ball games, such as playing catch or kicking
• French cricket
• Hula hoop
• Pogo stick
• Frisbee – including team games like Ultimate Frisbee
• Skateboarding or roller-blading
• Gymnastics on a grass area.
Child’s play in your own backyard
A brochure describing a range of backyard sports, from French cricket to tin-can golf (NSW Dept of Sport and Recreation).
School holiday activities
A long list of ideas for keeping kids active during the holidays – doing things together, going on trips, playing in the backyard, etc (Child and Youth Health, South Australia).